Our house has a gas range, which I love for cooking, but am not such a big fan of leaving on all day long. Especially since I'll be having little ones around the house soon, an open flame burning all day is much less appealing to me. Therefore, we decided to experiment with making our beans in the crock pot. After doing some reading online, I determined we did not need to soak the beans over night before cooking them this way. So here is our recipe for delicious homemade beans.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Anaheim chiles, sliced (I had these on hand, so decided to use them. They are completely optional.)
- 6 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used avocado oil.)
- 1 Tbsp. salt (You may increase or decrease the salt amount as you like.)
- 2 lbs. dried small red beans
- Chop and slice all of your veggies. Wash the beans, using a colander and cold water.
- Put all ingredients in the crock pot and add enough water to cover the beans plus two inches. (More water may need to be added as the beans cook. Just make sure the beans are covered at all times.)
- Give the contents a good stir.
- Cook on High for ~10 hrs. Stir occasionally throughout cooking time.
- When beans are al dente, turn crock pot off and let cool. Package in freezer bags or plastic containers.